Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pretty and Pink

For the birth of my sister-in-law's baby last fall, I decided to make a baby blanket. Since the lady in question adores pink, and was having a daughter, no other color would do. Pink it would be. So I hopped on the bus and went to my trusty Walmart craft center to pick out some yarn. After scouring their selection of baby yarns, I walked away with my prize: Caron's Simply Soft Eco yarn in Blush. The color is a lovely rose, not too bright but also not your typical pastel baby color. While I love that the yarn is made from recycled materials, I have to say it is pretty difficult to work with. The recycled PET plastic fibers simply do NOT want to hold a twist, and I often caught my hook on the untwisting yarn while I worked. The upside of this, though, is that the finished piece has a wonderfully soft, full texture. Texture aside, I don't think I'll be purchasing any more of this yarn to work with; it was just that frustrating.

Here is the blanket all folded and tied with a pretty ribbon:


I ended up doing a very simple, straight double crochet baby blanket, with a shell edging. I am told that it is little Ani's favorite blanket ever, which makes me just about the happiest aunt in existence.

Closeups of the edging:

 
 

No comments: