Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Afghan Hooks and the Tunisian Stitch

Since I worked up a small afghan years ago using an afghan hook and Tunisian stitch, I've been dying to work with them again. The Tunisian stitch is simple, quick, and has a lovely texture; the afghan hook looks like the misbegotten lovechild of a crochet hook and a knitting needle, but is nonetheless amazing.

Photo from www.wrights.com
 
Combine the two, and you have a quick, easy piece of fabric.

I'd love to have several sizes of afghan hooks, so I can work up some super-quick afghans. I also wish I had time for a tunisian entrelac project. Entrelac is a technique that yields a beautiful basketweave texture, and is more common in knitting than crochet. I actually discovered it when I did a Google search for afghan hooks.  Luckily, you can do most tunisian entrelac projects with a regular crochet hook, since the squares tend to be fairly small.

Photo from For The Love of Crochet Along blog.


4 comments:

Sandy at Teacup Lane said...

You have the same template as me! I love this one. I just signed up to be a follower of yours - come on over to my blog - I'm waiting to get my 70th follower. I love to crochet too.

glor said...

I have yet to try the entrelac technique but its something I have to do soon. I love how it looks! Your 9 patch granny is very pretty, love the colors. Signed up to follow you. Have a nice day.

Nancy McGill said...

Thank you both! :) I'll be sure to check out your blogs too.

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I love the way that looks! I have some of those hooks...I've never used them though... ;D