Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's a dirty job...

My apartment has hardwood floors. They are beautiful. They are also a bear to clean, so I got a Swiffer to help make that particular chore a little easier. Unfortunately, Swiffer cloths are darn expensive, and the cost can rack up pretty quick if you use them a lot. I got the idea for this project from a friend of mine, when she mentioned that she had seen a lot of them on Etsy.com. Yes, I crocheted Swiffer covers. I find that a good cotton yarn yields a pad that works just as well as the disposable cloths, and is less expensive than a single box of the off-brand cloths. You can also use them wet or dry, which helps a lot with the wood floors. Use one to pick up as much dust as possible, then switch to a clean one (or rinse it out), and a spray bottle of cleaning solution. I machine-wash mine, and it does just fine.

I used Peaches 'N Creme worsted weight cotton yarn in Camel (found at my local Walmart for ~$2 per ball). I got one plain cloth out of one ball of yarn, with a little bit left over. I think I'm going to make the second one nubby. I'll just have to play with it a bit, I guess. I'm also thinking about getting some fun, brightly colored yarn to make a few more. I got the camel yarn because I expect it to get dirty, and I figure this color won't show stains as much, but, really, where's the fun in that?

I also think I'm going to have to start taking more photos of my work outside. The early afternoon sun was just perfect for these!



No comments: