Monday, July 26, 2010

Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes Revisited: Part 1

 So, I've been up to my antics again. I liked that Ina Garten recipe, but it calls for a syrup to be poured over the cake once it's been baked. Myself, I'm not a big fan of that, so I omitted it. While the cake WAS pretty good, I thought it could be a weee bit sweeter and a little more moist, so here's my version of the recipe:

3 cups self-rising flour, sifted
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup lightly packed lemon zest (approximately 8 medium lemons)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
4 extra large eggs
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter

Like this:


 Cream together butter and sugar, like so:

(I love the look and smell of creamed butter and sugar! :) )


Add eggs, one by one. Make sure to completely incorporate one egg before adding the next.It should look something like this when everything is done:

Combine buttermilk, lemon juice, and zest in a separate bowl.
Add flour and liquid mixture in small amounts, alternating between the two until all ingredients are fully incorporated. You may want to make sure to scrape any accumulated zest off the beaters of your mixer and mix it in thoroughly with a fork. I find it tends to pile up there.

And here is what your finished batter will look like:


Spoon batter into muffin tin lined with baking cups. I used my 1/4 cup measuring cup, and that was just the right amount.



Bake at 350° for approximately 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: approximately 2 dozen cupcakes.




 Well, that concludes the cake part! Tune in next time for filling and frosting. :)

No comments: