Saturday, September 11, 2010

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society hosts an annual fundraiser and awareness raising event, the Light the Night walk. This year's Lexington, KY walk included over 1,500 people. It was pretty amazing to see all those lighted balloons and hear the hope and joy in people's voices. My team, mentioned in a previous post, managed to raise over $1,500 all told, in just under a month. We managed to contribute the equivalent of a modest monthly income to this organization, and that gives me hope. This event has bolstered my faith in humanity, and reminded me of the generosity and good will of the people around me. I cannot find the words to express my gratitude to the Society for all they do, and especially to the donors for making their activities possible.

The whole reason I participated in this event is an amazing friend of mine, Emma. Emma was diagnosed with a pretty rare form of leukemia earlier this summer. Luckily, her treatment is going well. I have to say, when Emma first had to go into the hospital, I was really scared for her. The circumstances which sent her to the hospital were frightening enough, and then there was a period of time where they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. It was nerve-wracking enough for those of us who care for her; I can't even imagine what it must have been like for her. After the doctors found out what was going on, everything seemed to get a little easier- they knew what was wrong, they could treat it. It would take some time, but they could treat it. I'm hoping that everything goes perfectly with her upcoming marrow transplant, and that she can get back to her vibrant, vivacious self as soon as possible.

No comments: