Friday, January 28, 2011

My Booklist

I have recently been drooling over several crochet books. I can't afford to buy them all right now, but Valentine's Day is coming up- maybe I'll nudge the significant other toward a couple of these. (My favorite gift to give or receive is a book; knowledge is the best gift ever!)


First up is 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet from Lesley Stansfield . This book has some fantastic posies to accent your projects. I'd really like to go through it and look for something to accent those two green cowls I recently finished. Since I want to pick up knitting sometime, I like the fact that this has both knit and crochet designs.

Image from Amazon.com

Next is 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans by Jan Eaton. I like granny squares and all, but the fact is they can get tiresome after a while. Admittedly, the reviews for this book say that there aren't actually 200 different blocks- several are just color variations. I don't know about you, but I have never looked at a pattern and said "Oh! This calls for such-and-such color. I suppose that means I can't possibly use the colors I want to use. A new color makes it a completely different pattern!" Snarkiness aside, I still think it would be nice to have a quick reference guide for a variety of blocks, which is why I'd love this book. At some point, I want to make a block sampler afghan with a pretty color scheme.


Image from Amazon.com
Last, but not least, is Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace, by Doris Chan. I would really like to make the Crysanthemum Tea Shawl featured on the cover. In the reviews, there are complaints about these items just being enlarged lace patterns, or enlarged doilies, but I'm not too concerned about that. I think the designs are elegant (for the most part) and would love to make several of them.


Image from Amazon.com


Are you drooling over any patterns, books, or tools?

2 comments:

Granny said...

Those books sound like something I'd enjoy. Especially the book about the different blocks. I'm with you, granny squares can get old after a while. I've put that book on my wish list.

Nancy McGill said...

I'm glad you liked it! I enjoy block patterns like this- they're very portable and they work up pretty fast, too.