Friday, January 21, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcake Love

I had planned on sharing this recipe ages ago. It's not quite as holiday-feast-time appropriate now, but it's still fantastic, and I just dare you to make these and tell me they aren't fantastic. Before I share the goods, I'll just let you know- I love pumpkin. I love pumpkin EVERYTHING. I love eating pumpkin in savory dishes, pumpkin soup and roasted pumpkin. I love roasted pumpkin seeds (fresh are best). I love pumpkin pie and any pumpkin scented candle. But I simply adore these cupcakes. There's just something incredibly satisfying about the combination of smooth pumpkin, bold spices, and rich maple and cream cheese. Be careful with these; you'll want to make them year-round!

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple-Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

4 eggs
3/4 c. softened butter
2 c. sugar
15 oz. can of pumpkin
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. corn starch
1 tsp. ground clove
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

Frosting:
8 oz. softened cream cheese
3 T. softened butter
4 c. powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/8-1/4 c. maple syrup
(the amounts of cinnamon and maple syrup should be adjusted according to your tastes, start with a little and add more as desired)

Preheat oven to 350;&deg F
Combine dry ingredients, set aside
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes on medium-low speed
Slowly add eggs and pumpkin, adding eggs one at a time and pumpkin in small amounts, wait until each item is fully incorporated before adding more.
Gradually add dry ingredients
Divide into lined muffin tin
Bake approximately 20 mins, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (I don't really time them, I just keep an eye on them and take them out when they're done, so this is an estimate; adjust baking time as necessary)
Yields approximately 2 dozen cupcakes.

Frosting:
Blend butter and cream cheese.
Mix sugar in gradually
Blend in cinnamon and maple syrup, adjusting amounts to taste

I like to serve mine topped with a pecan half. :) They're also really good with chopped pecans in them.

No comments: