Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Banana Cream Cupcakes

I got a request from someone at work for banana something cupcakes. So, I began scouring the internet for a recipe that would turn out a light, flavorful banana cupcake. After facing too many reviews that said this recipe tasted like muffins, or that one was too dense, I decided to take a basic yellow cake recipe and make it my own. Man, am I ever glad I did. These cupcakes came out light, fluffy, moist, and flavorful. I couldn't bear to top these delicious little cakes with a heavy buttercream or cream cheese frosting. After a little searching, I decided on swiss buttercream. It's light, not too sweet, and tastes just a bit like whipped cream. In short, it's perfect for this cake.

 
 
 


Banana Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
4 whole eggs
1 c. mashed banana (~ 2 bananas)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 shot (1.5 oz.) dark rum
1 3/4 c. milk


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350° F
Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and spices into a bowl.
In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar.
Gradually mix in eggs; add one at a time and mix each until fully incorporated.
Gradually mix in banana and vanilla extract.
Slowly add flour mixture and liquids(milk and rum), alternating between the two until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
Line a muffin tin with paper baking cups, fill each cup about 3/4 full, and bake for approximately 16 minutes.
Yields about 3 dozen cupcakes.



Swiss Buttercream
This stuff is amazingly delicious, but it'll be difficult to make without a stand mixer. Just so you know beforehand.

5 lg. egg whites
1 1/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. softened butter, cut into pieces

Heat egg whites and sugar on a double boiler over medium-low to medium heat.
Stir the egg whites and sugar in the double boiler until they reach 140-150° F, maintain the egg whites at this temperature for 3-4 minutes, then remove.
Whip the egg whites into stiff glossy peaks (~ 10 minutes)
Add the butter piece by piece until fully incorporated
The frosting may curdle- don't freak out! Just keep mixing and it will come back together.
After the frosting is whipped smooth, switch from a wire whip to a flat beater, and beat the frosting for about 5 minutes on the lowest speed setting. Add vanilla and mix just until blended.
Top cupcakes with a dollop of frosting and a banana chip.

Note: I personally prefer lightly frosted cupcakes (especially when they're this moist and flavorful!). If you'd prefer a more generous amount of frosting for your cakes, I'd suggest you double the frosting recipe.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Shore Girl said...

These look scrumptious! Going straight into my recipe file!

Nancy McGill said...

I'm glad you think so! You know, the icing could be a good science lesson in proteins.

(I took a look at your homeschooling blog, if you can't tell :P)

Shore Girl said...

I finally got around to trying this recipe and found it to be DELICIOUS!! I'll be linking to it this Saturday in my weekly food post!

Nancy McGill said...

Yay! Thanks for linking. :)

I'm glad you liked the cupcakes. They went over extremely well at work. I think I need to make them again soon. :)