Friday, February 18, 2011

Review: Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool Yarn

A couple of weeks ago I was in Michael's (which I really do not visit very often), and I happened across a yarn I hadn't seen before- Lion Brand Fishermen's Wool. It seemed like a fairly decent buy for the quantity, so I filed it away in the back of my mind for future projects. This past weekend, I went back to Michael's to pick up some Sugar 'n Cream yarn, and decided to give the Fishermen's Wool a spin.

Image from lionbrand.com



First, the positives. This yarn comes in a huge roll. It's 8oz/227g/465 yds of wool yarn. It was about $10 at Michael's, but list price is $10.99. And I'm sure you could find it on sale from time to time. The sheer amount per package is nice, because it means fewer joins in your projects. It's also available in 6 different colors. Annnd, that's about all I have to say on the positive side of things.

Overall, I am not incredibly impressed. Those six colors are all cream, brown, or mixtures thereof. The yarn is finicky to work with- it keeps untwisting on me while I crochet, and then my hook catches the untwisted strands as I work the stitches. It's also a bit scratchy; I suspect it's mostly noils (short fibers which are left behind after combing the wool). I have not finished a project with it yet, so it may soften up a bit after it's been washed, but I can't imagine that I would make a huge amount of difference. Plus, I found a few black fibers in the yarn. Admittedly, this isn't incredibly uncommon for wool, but I really don't want visible black specks in my cream-colored project. It's just unsightly.

After doing a bit of math, I figured out that I can get more, higher quality wool yarn for about the same price. KnitPicks Wool of the Andes worsted weight (in solid colors) is about $10 for 250g/550yds (that's five 50g balls of yarn). while Fishermen's Wool is about $10 ($10.99, list price) for 227g/465yd. I have a bunch of WotA which I'm planning on using in an afghan, and I have worked up a few granny squares in it. In my opinion, it is softer, of higher quality, and works up better. It also comes in a ton of different colors and is less expensive per yard than Fishermen's Wool.

Fishermen's Wool is not the worst yarn, but I know there are better values out there. In short, I'm pretty certain I won't be purchasing this yarn again.

2 comments:

Granny said...

This is a great review. I'd seen the yarn and wondered aobut it. Now I won't make the mistake of buying it.

Jayme said...

I have the same issues with this yarn. I purchased it thinking it was a good value, but can't wear the things I've knit. It is too scratchy even after washing. I've also tried soaking it in a conditioner bath which barely made a difference. My next attempt is going to be a vinegar bath, but I don't think its going to help much either. It's too bad really. Thanks for the tip on WotA.