Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill + 1UP


Today's challenge:
Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year.

This time last year, I would have considered myself a beginner/beginner-intermediate crocheter. Even though I have known the basics of crochet since I was a child, it wasn't until I started blogging that I really immersed myself in the craft. If this blog isn't good for a single other thing, I'm grateful that writing it has inspired me to learn new techniques and try new things.

Today I'd say I'm a pretty firm "intermediate" crocheter. I've learned a lot about deciphering patterns and charts (especially from that dratted Market Bag I'm working on). I've learned interesting new techniques such as the magic ring (or adjustable ring, or whatever you prefer to call it), as well as stitches I hadn't used before. I've discovered some luxury yarns I love, but haven't yet reached the level of "yarn snob" (and I hope I never do!). Oh, and I've actually managed to finish more projects in the past year than I had in the previous five years combined. I count that as some serious growth.

I'm on the brink of another big milestone in my quest to crochet awesomeness- writing a pattern. I have never before written a pattern. Two years ago, I'd never even used one (most of the projects I did were just plain, flat pieces like scarves and small blankets). Pretty soon I will embark on my pattern-writing journey. Hopefully I'll manage to turn out a written pattern that works for other people! It's one thing to have a set of directions in your head, but another thing entirely to translate those into written instructions that others will understand and be able to use.

I also have plans to create a textured yarn painting of my own design. I'm not sure yet whether it will be round or rectangular or square, what yarn I will use, or any of that. What I am sure of is that I have a striking image in my mind, and a burning desire to translate that into yarn so I can share the beauty with everyone around me.

In short, I have grown by leaps and bounds in my crochet skills, knowledge, and ambition over the past year, and I sincerely hope I can accomplish the same over the next 12 months.

3 comments:

Rambler of Tales said...

You've definitely gone a long way from granny squares, that's for sure!

I just hope that someday we have some kind of yarn room (that isn't the living room). Ooo, you could lay it all out on the floor and it could double as a nap room!

Katie B said...

Definitely amazed by your improving skills-- day by day! Keep going, pretty lady!

P.S. I like the nap room idea haha

Se said...

<3