Monday, March 14, 2011

This little piggy went to the market...

The recent warm weather has got me thinking of spring. Not only will the weather improve, but the local farmer's market will come out of hiding. Just the thought of the farmer's market has me excited. Local raw honey, music, produce, meat, flowers, and everybody and their brother brings a dog. And what does a stylish young woman take to the market? A market bag, of course! Here are a few designs I particularly like:


I like this design from Lion Brand because it looks roomy and sturdy. I think it'd look great in monochromatic stripes- shades of blue or green (my two favorite colors) or even shades of bright, sunny yellow or orange (they're growing on me).






I love the look of this bag from Bernat. There's also a knit version, for you multitalented crafters out there. I think it has just the right balance of openwork (for stretch) and solid stitches around the edge for a sturdy foundation. And I just love the shape- it deviates a little from the traditional tote or market bag shape.




And there's always this great vintage string bag. It's super-portable, and looks like you could just about fit the Eiffel Tower in there, if you had half a mind to. Plus, I bet it would work up in a snap.




And then there's this modern version of a string bag, worked in worsted weight yarn:




 Which pattern do you like best? My favorite is the cute green one. :)

3 comments:

Se said...

Green most definitely!

Kat said...

I like the green one. Have you seen the back that Attic24 (can't remember her actual name) has on her site? I see lots of versions of it being made on blogs.

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/crochet-bag.html

Might be worth considering.

Nancy McGill said...

I have, but I'm not a huge fan of that style for a market bag- it's just too solid for my tastes. I like a bag with at least a little stretch and give if I'm going to use it for produce. Thanks for sharing, though!