Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tidy mind, tidy stitches.


Today's topic revolves around the topic of organization:

"How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organisation exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organised at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organised, blog about an aspect of that organisation process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organised stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry."

I have to admit, I love the idea of my home being organized. Neat. Tidy, even. I want to have cables neatly tucked away behind electronics, every item hidden away out of sight or neatly and attractively displayed. You know, a place for everything, everything in it's place, that whole bag. The truth is a little closer to the complete opposite. Electronics cables are so wild they seem to have a life of their own, clutter breeds in the nooks and corners, and dust accumulates at an alarming rate. I'm a wip, though, and so is my house. I'm working on it.

In this vein, I recently made the effort to corral the evergrowing pile of yarn that threatened to engulf the living room. Dearest Husband had been hinting for a while that it might be nice to be able to walk across the living room without tripping over my yarn. Being the wonderful wife that I am, I indulged him and corralled most of my yarn to a corner of the living room with some plastic containers. I would love to have a glass-fronted cabinet for my yarns and fabrics, but alas, my budget weeps at the thought. The containers do a great job though. The ones I found are 15 quart clear Sterilite container with snap handles. The size is perfect- I don't have to dig through a giant tub to find what I'm looking for. And since the containers are clear, I know what's in them before I even open them up. All in all, they're pretty good for the purpose.





I also have a pretty basket, which I keep some overflow and yarn that I know I'll be using soon. I really like this basket because it's pretty and because it was part of a wedding gift from a couple of awesome friends. :) The little roll of fabric is part of a liner I'm planning on sewing for it- I just haven't gotten around to it yet.



As far as my hooks and notions go, I have this bright blue pop-top container. I got this thing at Michael's for a grand total of $2. It holds my crochet hooks, yarn needles, and some of those snappy little hair barrettes (which I slip in the working loop of a project to keep things from unraveling).




See? Snappy!

2 comments:

Kris said...

Love the snappy clip tip! Thanks!Good job you!

Nancy McGill said...

I love the snappy clips! I used to just pull the last loop out way long when I needed to put a project down for a while, but I still ended up with some unraveled stitches. This way I know they'll stay put. :)