Monday, March 28, 2011

A Yarn of Two Tails...


No, wait, that isn't right...
A Tale of Yarn Cities?
No, that's not quite right either...
A Tale of Two Yarns!! That's the proper title for today's 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Challenge, courtesy of Eskimimi Knits:
"Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them."
A big part of my crochet habit DOES happen to revolve around yarn. I derive a great deal of joy from the entire process, and that begins with selecting a yarn. Sometimes I buy a yarn without a project in mind, simply because it's a nice yarn that happens to be on sale. Sometimes I pick a yarn out for a project and just end up tickled pink with how it turns out. And sometimes, oh there's that fateful occasion when I purchase a yarn for a particular purpose, and it turns out that the yarn is not only terrible for that purpose, it's just plain terrible.

Join me, if you will, in the craft store. There are racks and racks and racks of yarn, and you're looking to try something new. So you touch everything. Yes, when I go yarn shopping I become a child. I cannot keep my hands off the yarn. I have to touch every ball of yarn in the store twice before I can figure out what I want. And I come across a wool yarn. It's fairly inexpensive for the amount, and it feels like your average, everyday wool in the skein. So I purchase enough for a project, bring it home, and start working.

It's like a short-lived love affair that leaves you bitter and tired and sad and angry, all at the same time. At first, I was happy with how everything was going. The yarn was okay, and I loved the pattern. Then, I started to notice little things. Like how the yarn didn't want to hold its twist, and how it split every third stitch, forcing me to mutter unladylike things as I pulled out the split stitch so I could work it properly. Then I got halfway through and realized that I love the pattern but LOATHE the substrate. This yarn is horrendous. I'm at the point where I want to frog the whole project and just make a rug with this awful stuff, because that is the only thing on this planet that it is good for. If you read this blog regularly, you may have already figured out that I am referring to Lion Brand's Fishermen's Wool Yarn. That stuff is just plain awful, and isn't nearly worth the price paid for it. So if anyone was looking forward to seeing how my Scallop Scarf turns out in the end, don't hold your breath. This is probably the last you'll see of it:


On a slightly more positive note, I have a yarn in my stash that I Adore. That's right: adore-with-a-capital-A. This stuff is so soft you'd think it was spun out of clouds and unicorn farts (you're welcome for the mental image). It's KnitPicks Andean Treasure in Sapphire Heather:


That's 100% baby alpaca fiber, dyed a luscious deep heathered blue. Again (say it with me now): I Adore this yarn. My problem is that I purchased it with no idea of what I wanted to make with it. Now that I have it, I can't just use any old pattern for it. No! It has to be something just as special as this yarn. Since I have a few other irons in the fire so far as my crochet goes, I'll have to hold off on using this yarn until I happen across juuuust the right pattern for it.

No comments: